We’re smack-dab in the middle of our third week of the year! In between celebrating a man who dared to dream and the inauguration of a new President, I find myself daring to blog. Meanwhile, all the resolution posts and promises are squaring off with the long haul of reality. One might ask, “How are you doing, 2017?”
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way…” -Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
A smile graces my face and tears line my eyes as I ponder where I’ve come from and where I’m headed. Endless are the possibilities that rest on the hinge of a decision! Momentum will guide me in the weeks to come or will fizzle into dismal failure as I put on blinders and forget the vigor with which the year started; it’s all up to me!
Yesterday, I dared to scroll through my photo stream–six months of pictures and memes (yes, memes…you know you’ve got them too). As I swiped, over and over again, I saw evidence of growth, happiness, and even sadness. We as individuals have the capability to choose greatness or devastation daily. In our world there is a mixture of hope and divisiveness, such uncertainty will surely engross each of us as we make daily investments in our lives, participate within our communities and entertain the grander scale of global issues before us.
I, like many of you, have started 2017 with goals and resolutions. Happily, I can report that progress is occurring, albeit slowly. I began on unsure footing but have since found my balance in the small and simple routines of life. There is security in these small yet purposeful tasks, security which is accompanied by the side effect of peace.
Several friends and colleagues have weighed in on the matter and I wanted to share their wisdom with you, I call it “Positive Possibilities”. Let’s take a look:
- Take 90 seconds before your feet hit the floor in the morning to have focused breathing.
- Look for reasons to smile, recognize it when you do.
- Compliment someone each day.
- When you find yourself looking inward, stop! Change your inward thinking to outward service for another.
- Continue or create a spiritual life of your choosing.
- Feel the feelings. It may be hard, but pushing them away or numbing out won’t really matter, they aren’t going anywhere until you face them.
- Live in the 24 hour moment that’s been granted to you.
- Drink water, lots and lots of water.
- Make or maintain two human connections each day.
- Make a gratitude list each night before falling off to sleep, list five things that mattered that day (even breathing or having all your fingers and toes count).
Human beings are marvelous creatures, aren’t they? You, in addition to the rest of us, are a wonderful specimen of the human family! You deserve happiness, fulfillment and the ability to achieve your dreams! Getting there will depend on every decision, even the seemingly insignificant.
Now, as we walk further into 2017, it is my deepest hope that we can find courage, acceptance, and compassion for one another along the way. Stay true to your course and focus on what is within your sphere of influence; each of us really CAN HAVE the “best of times…”
I believe in you and will see you along the journey. -JMJ
*All picture credit is from Pixabay.com